Connecting your phone to a PM5 is usually straightforward, but there are some gotchas that you should look out for. If you are in an erg room with your team, you’ll need to make sure the serial number on the erg matches the serial number you see on the app. Otherwise, you could be recording someone else’s workout!
Putting the PM5 in Connect Mode
- From the monitor home screen, tap on the button next to More Options.
- Then tap on the button next to Turn Wireless ON.
- From the monitor home screen, tap on the button next to Connect.
Connecting the phone to the PM5
This assumes you have already followed the steps in Starting Your Workout on your phone, so your RowHero app is now searching for PM5s to connect to.
The easiest way to connect is to *hold* your phone against the monitor screen until RowHero starts connecting.
Alternatively, you can tap the specific PM5 in the list on your phone to connect to it or disconnect from it.
Troubleshooting: Phone doesn’t show PM5 on connection list
Symptom: a PM5 is in Connect mode, but RowHero won’t show it on the list of available PM5s to connect to.
Time to Resolve: 1 – 5 minutes
- First, check that the PM5 isn’t already connected to another app. If this is the case, the PM5 should have a menu option called “Turn Wireless OFF” (Type 1), or it will say “App Connected” under the Connect menu (Type 2).
- If the PM5 is definitely not connected, hold the “Menu” button on the monitor for 3 – 5 seconds to reset it. This should resolve the issue when you put it in Connect mode again.
Troubleshooting: PM5 System Failure
Symptom: when entering Connect mode, the PM5 displays the error message “PM5 system failure. Contact Concept2 for replacement. Provide the serial number: xxxxxxxxx And: Code xxx”
Time to Resolve: 10 – 60 minutes
Troubleshooting: Firmware update required
Symptom: after connecting to the PM5, RowHero displays an error saying “Concept2 Firmware Update Required.”
Time to Resolve: 15 – 60 minutes
- You will need a laptop and a USB B-male cable (e.g. older printer cables, example).
- See the section “Updating Firmware with a USB cable” on Concept2’s support page.
- Replace the batteries. This should resolve the error.
- If the error is not resolved, try updating the firmware, or if you are completely stuck, contact Concept2.